Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Year-End Fun Run for Sendong Victims


Dagan Alang Sa Nabaha-an (Run for Sendong Victims) was a fitting way to cap my whole year round of running. Held on the last day of 2011 (Dec.31, Saturday) in my hometown Malaybalay City, the charity run aimed to raise funds for the benefits of Typhoon Sendong victims which recently battered Northern Mindanao.



Start and finish line was outside the San Isidro Cathedral. When I arrived in the venue at around 5:30 AM, on-site registration is still on-going. This did not bother me a bit since I know that more participants would mean more money raised for the typhoon victims.

 Almost 200 runners joined the race

The race started past 6 AM . From San Isidro Cathedral, we ran through Magsaysay Street, went up to Barangay Sumpong and turned left upon reaching Sta. Cruz Street going to the direction of the national highway. Upon reaching the national highway (Fortich St.), it was all downhill going to MotoExtreme shop, turned left again up to Bishop's House/SID Press then Sanchez Street and back to the starting line.


For this run I used my old New Balance running shoes since my Adidas Stability 3 is still wet after being washed the day before. I had a hard time re-adjusting to my old shoes which I haven't used for almost three months now. I decided to maintain an easy pace and also took photos along the way. I finished the 3.8-kilometer distance at 23 minutes and 10 seconds.

That's me in the middle with my running friends James and Jun Lite (photo from Raquel Dutosme)

Malaybalay's fastest runners Bobby Tadlas and Christine Organiza ruled the Men and Women categories. The winners were awarded with medals and some souvenir items were also raffled off. I did not win item any but I'm not complaining since I knew that somehow, I was able to contribute something to help our least fortunate brothers and sisters who are victims of Typhoon Sendong. 

Dagan Alang Sa Nabaha-an was organized by Malaybalay City Sports Coordinator Niko Aldeguer with assistance from Father Robert Selecios (San Isidro Cathedral and SID Press), Engr. Bong Abao (Origen Outdoors and Malaybalay Runners), Ronan Montero (Panahik Adventure Centre) and Ben Maputi Jr. (BenSports and Bukidnon Adventure Team). According to the organizers, more than 10,000 pesos was raised from the event. 

(This post first appeared in my running blog The Pulaguy Blogger)

1 comment:

  1. It was a great fun run, thanks for sharing ! Nice pics, Congratulations to all the participants for a great job well done and looking forward always for more updates.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...